Dal Makhani Recipe or Dal Makhni is a north Indian dish usually made of whole black urad dal or black lentils, red kidney beans, some good amount of butter and cream. Additionally, the dish is known for its creamy rich flavor. The dish is mainly originated from the Punjab region. So if you are looking for authentic Punjabi food, then you should definitely give this recipe a try.
Dal makhani recipe is usually prepared by the slow cooking process. It can be served with jeera rice, roti, and butter naan.
The most important ingredient in this recipe is Lentils. Generally, black lentils or Black urad dal is used to make this recipe. However, red kidney beans and urad dal both are used in some places. Furthermore, the variety of Dal Makhani may vary from place to place.
(ALSO READ:- HOW TO MAKE GULAB JAMUN AT HOME)
Preparation of Dal Makhani Recipe
1. Use whole spices: Instead of using garam masala powder, it is advisable to use whole spices. The reason behind the usage of the whole spices is that; we get the real restaurant-style Dal Makhni.
2. Usage of cream and butter: Firstly, It is very important to add a good amount of butter and cream in Dal makhani recipe. If you want to make this recipe more delicious and creamy then you should add a good amount of butter and cream. Adding a good amount of cream and butter makes the dal gravy more creamy and savory. Additionally, a rich and smooth texture also come from a butter-cream combo.
3. Slow Cooking is Best: Secondly, The more you slow cook the Dal Makhni, the more it tastes better. Initially, you need to pressure cook the dal for about 30 minutes. Then, slow-cooked it on a low flame for another 30 minutes. Just keep in mind, that to slow cook for a longer period of time, to get the real Dal.
4. Charcoal Smoky Technique used in Dal Makhni: Thirdly, If you really want a Restaurant style Dal Makhani then you should use smoky charcoal-infused aroma in Dal. Just try the Dhaungar method and you will be surprised by its taste. The taste matches exactly with Restaurant style Dal. However, this technique is optional. We generally use it for a smoky flavor.
5. Soaking of Urad or Black lentil overnight: Lastly, This is the very first yet most important method that you should never miss. Don’t forget to soak the urad or rajma overnight so that they take a little time to cook. Another point is, always use fresh lentils and herbs.