Kadhi recipe is an Indian recipe which is quite popular in North Indian and Middle Indian region. Kadhi is basically a yogurt-based curry prepared with chickpea flour along with various spices with gram flour pakoras dipped in it. In this recipe, yogurt and chickpea flour are the main ingredients. Kadhi is known for its unique flavor and nice aroma. Additionally, onion pakoras topped in it thus makes it a perfect summer meal. You can serve Kadhi with Roti, paratha and rice. Another recipe of Kadhi that is Kadhi Chawal is also popular in many parts of India. In fact, in most of the festive season, Kadhi is served as a main dish.
Kadhi has different varieties in various parts of India. In the Punjab region; the Kadhi Pakora recipe is mainly served during Baisakhi. Whereas Gujrati Kadhi gives you a sweet-sour kind of taste. Another type of Kadhi which is popular in the Konkan area: Sol kadhi. The main ingredients of Sol Kadhi are cumin seeds, buttermilk, green chilies and kokum. Kokum is a fruit widely available in Konkan areas.
Steps Of Making Punjabi Kadhi :
- To prepare onion pakoras for kadhi, take 1 cup gram flour and add carom seeds, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt as per your taste. Slice the onions and add them to the mixture. Mix the ingredients together, and keep aside for about 30 minutes. Add water to make a thick batter.
- Take a deep frying pan, add oil in it and heat it over medium flame. Take the batter in a tablespoon and add it to the pan. Fry the pakoras until they turn crispy and brown. Remove from flame, and place over tissue paper to remove excess oil.
- To prepare the curd mixture, take 375 grams of curd and whisk properly until it gets smooth. Add 40 grams of gram flour, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder and salt as required. Whisk all the ingredients properly. Add 3 cups of water, and stir to remove all the lumps.
- To prepare the Punjabi kadhi, take a large pan and add 2 tbsp of mustard oil. Add cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds, saute well for a minute. Add a pinch of asafoetida and allow the seeds to splutter. Chop the onions, ginger, garlic in a bowl. Add 1/3 cup chopped onions to the pan and saute for a while. Then, add chopped ginger, green chilis. Add curry leaves and dry red chilli and stir properly for a while.
- Add the curd mixture into the pan. Stir the ingredients properly and let the kadhi boil for about 15 minutes. Reduce the flame and let it simmer until it turns thick. Now, add the onion pakoras into the kadhi and mix properly. Cover with a lid and let the pakoras soak properly into the kadhi. Sprinkle some garam masala powder and serve hot!
Health Benefits Of Kadhi:
You will get a surprise to know that Kadhi has many health benefits. Kadhi has some healing properties which are quite helpful in preventing ailments. It is a natural way of boosting your immunity.
Besan Kadhi is perfect for improving body functions and growth. It also helps to reduce ammonia. As it has a high amount of iron and protein which is used to increase Haemoglobin.
It helps to boost our digestive system: Another benefit of sol kadhi recipe is that it improves digestion. You can feel cleansed after your digestive system is totally cleared. Your body absorbs food well when your digestive system is clean. Various problems like gas, indigestion, constipation, heartburn and diarrhea can be prevented if your body is cleansed regularly.
Kadhi cools your body and you need it more in the summer. It is a natural cooling agent and works well in hot climates.
This was the home Indian Kadhi Recipe by Indian Food Club.
Making of Kadhi: Take a medium size bowl. Add chickpea flour, salt, turmeric and chili powder. Mix well together. Add yoghurt to this mixture to form a smooth paste. Add water gradually. Now heat the oil in a large pan. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida and 2-3 whole red chilies. When the cumin seeds begin to splutter then add yoghurt-chickpea flour mixture. Allow it to boil for 15 minutes. Let the mixture thickens. Once it starts thickening, add onion pakoras to the Kadhi. Serve Kadhi hot with rice, roti and parathas.
Making of Kadhi:
Take a medium size bowl. Add chickpea flour, salt, turmeric and chili powder. Mix well together.
Add yoghurt to this mixture to form a smooth paste. Add water gradually.
Now heat the oil in a large pan. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida and 2-3 whole red chilies.
When the cumin seeds begin to splutter then add yoghurt-chickpea flour mixture. Allow it to boil for 15 minutes.
Let the mixture thickens. Once it starts thickening, add onion pakoras to the Kadhi.
Serve Kadhi hot with rice, roti and parathas.