Beautiful toppings add soul to the desserts with their luxuriousness and charm. Made with just 4 ingredients, this recipe of homemade whipped cream has a velvety texture with perfect creaminess and flavor that helps create the most stunning artistry on your cakes and pies, bringing them to life!
It can turn any dessert into deliciously beautiful masterpieces!
Better than the best store-bought whipped creams that use artificial ingredients, this recipe is undoubtedly the easiest and the purest homemade whipped cream you can prepare at home.
Use it to top cakes, cupcakes, trifles, pies and tarts, and even refreshing summer drinks, and you’ll discover how versatile this whipped cream can be.
What is whipped cream?
Whipped cream is heavy whipping cream with more than 35% fat content. It is beaten with a whisk or a stand mixer until it retains its shape.
It is the most beautiful addition to your cakes, cupcakes, pies, tarts, and cool summer drinks.
You can use this light, fluffy and decadent cream as a topping for your desserts to beautify them and taste just gorgeous. Flavored with sugar and vanilla essence, this whipped cream recipe is super indulgent and smooth as silk.
Whether it’s a freshly whipped glass of cold coffee or a cake just out of the oven, a dollop of whipped cream on the top makes all the difference.
Reasons You’ll ♡ Homemade Whipped cream
1. Adaptable – You can customize this homemade whipping cream to the availability of ingredients. Play around with the combination that I have shared below and see what works for you.
2. It’s made with all-natural ingredients – no commercial stabilizers or gelatin used. Homemade Whipped Cream
3. It’s fresh and creamy– in fact, more delicious than the store-bought ones.
4. It will hold its shape for days – the below-mentioned ingredients will stabilize the whipped cream pretty well. The cream will not lose its shape or fall flat.
Ingredients required to Make Whipping Cream for cakes
This is my go-to recipe for whipped cream, and it turns out perfectly every time. Once you make your own whipped cream at home, you will never go back to buying it from the local markets.
Making whipped cream at home is extremely simple. All you need is just four basic ingredients —
Cream — Heavy whipping cream create THE best, smooth, and silliest whipped cream. It peaks well and also stays fluffy for a longer time. For a creamy, melt-in-your-mouth taste and texture, always use heavy whipping cream with a 35% or higher fat content.
Cornstarch — This is what will thicken our whipped cream while retaining its creamy and smooth finish. It acts as a stabilizing agent.
Vanilla essence — Adds a lovely hint of vanilla flavor and an exciting aroma to our delicious homemade whipped cream recipe.
That’s all you need to whip up your very own whipped cream for cakes. It’s so fun to watch heavy cream transform into something so light, pillowy, soft, and airy.
How to make stabilized whipped cream for cakes?
Chill the mixing bowl — Chill the bowl and the blades in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, as this helps the cream to whip up faster.
Whisk cream — Add heavy whipping cream to the chilled bowl. Beat the beat cream on low speed for 1-2 minutes. When the cream starts to thicken slightly, add powdered sugar to it. Add cornstarch to the cream and gradually increase speed to high.
Assemble — Prepare your piping bag and attach a frosting tip to the bag. Fill the piping bag with homemade whipped cream. Frost your cupcakes or cakes with this homemade whipped cream.
For perfect rosettes, remember to apply even pressure the whole time while you are frosting.
Other stabilizing agents to make homemade whipped cream
I have tried making whipped cream with-
- Cornstarch – recipe listed below.
- Cream of tartar
- Gelatin Homemade Whipped Cream
- Agar-agar + powdered milk (my go-to method)
How to stabilize cake cream with cream of tartar-
Use 2 cups heavy whipping cream, 2/3 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp cream of tartar, and vanilla extract.
- Combine sugar and cream of tartar in a bowl. Set aside.
- Start whisking the cream until soft peaks form.
- Slowly start to add this sugar-tartar mix to the whipping cream.
- Beat until firm peaks are formed.
How to stabilize whipped cream with gelatin-
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon of unflavored gelatin in 1 tablespoon of cold water.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes until it blooms.
- Once bloomed, microwave the gelatin for 5 seconds or until it melts. Don’t overheat the gelatin.
- Follow the recipe below till stage 5. Now, add 1 tablespoon of whipped cream to the heated gelatin mixture.
- Fold it gently. Homemade Whipped Cream
- Now, add this mix to the whipped cream and start mixing it until firm peaks are formed.
- Remember, do not over whip the cream.
To stabilize cream with agar-agar and powdered milk-
Agar-agar and powdered milk are the secret ingredients to a perfect homemade whipped cream. Powdered milk provides enough stability to the cream and prevents it from losing its shape.
Follow this recipe here for a step by step visual instructions.
Tips to consider while making cream for cakes
Use heavy cream — Heavy whipping cream with a fat content of at least 35% or more is best suited for making the most luxurious whipped cream. More the fat content better is the peak formation.
Chilled cream for the best peaks — Cold whipping cream always works great for making the best homemade whipped cream recipe. Chill the whipping cream in the refrigerator overnight as it will whip up quickly and also create the best peaks.
To hold shape — Whipped cream frosting needs to be stabilized to maintain its shape better. For this, you need to add either agar-agar or cornstarch to the cream while whipping. Skipping a stabilizing agent will let the cream lose its shape soon.
For an easy whip — To prepare a cake-cream where you need stiff peaks of whipped cream, I recommend using an electric mixer. You can whip it up with a whisk, but that is a way too laborious task.
Variation in whipping time — The beating time mentioned in this recipe is for a stand mixer. It varies for a hand blender and also for a manual whisk, which takes more time.
Increase the blender’s speed gradually —Starting with the lowest speed level, gradually increasing to higher levels; otherwise, the liquid cream will splash all over the counter. It is best to level up the speed once the cream has thickened.
Keep under cool temperatures — Whipped cream left in a hot environment for long will soften and lose its texture. It is best to store it in the refrigerator when not in use.
Do not overbeat the cream — Over-whipped cream turns into butter, so beat it just until thick. We need it to be thick and stiff and not transformed into butter.
Stores for 2- 3 days in the fridge — The homemade whipped cream for cakes keeps well for 2 to 3 days under refrigeration. Keep it in an airtight container for the best storage.
Can I use regular sugar to whip the cream?
I would not recommend that. Powdered sugar thickens the cream and dissolves faster than regular sugar. And for that creamy and velvety texture that you enjoy in whipped cream – please use powdered sugar.
What to do with an over whipped cream?
First of all, stop immediately! To revive an over whipped cream, try this-
- Take 2 tablespoons of over whipped cream in a bowl.
- Mix it with 3-4 tablespoons of fresh cream.
- Fold the two gently.
- If the grainy texture disappears, you are good to go. Try doing this trick with the whole over whipped batch.
- But if the cream separates into lumps, then I am sorry the cream has turned into butter. You have to start all over again.
Let Me Know What You Think!
This gorgeous whipped cream is ideal for decking up your cakes, cupcakes, pies, tarts, etc.
Creativity has no end, and with luscious vanilla-flavored whipped cream like this, there is no limit to exploring!
So, shall we begin with our dreamy creamy expedition?
Should you make this homemade rich, creamy, and luscious whipped cream or any variation of it, please let me know your thoughts by sharing your comment below.
And don’t forget to share it with your family and friends.
CRAVING FOR MORE, TRY MY OTHER WHIPPED CREAM DELICACIES –
Frequently Asked Questions
How to check if the whipped cream has the right consistency?
- The blade will form blade marks or circles in the cream as it gets thicker.
- The cream will double up in volume and become dense.
- Last and the most important one – remove the whisk/blender from the mixer/base. Hold it upside down, and if the whipped cream maintains its soft peak firmly without falling off the blade- it’s ready to use and is perfect.
Which brand is best to make whipping cream for cakes?
I have used Land O’Lakes® Heavy Whipping Cream for my recipe. But any brand of cream-heavy cream that contains a fat content of at least 35% or higher works the best for making whipping cream.
For my Indian audience, please use Amul whipping cream or Amul fresh cream (that comes in tetra packs of 200ml).
What is the substitute for Cornstarch?
The closest alternative is gelatin or agar-agar (vegetarian option). For agar-agar, you will need 1.5 teaspoons of agar-agar dissolved in 6 teaspoons of water. Allow it to bloom, and then add it to the cream. Whisk until light and fluffy.
Calories: 185kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 15mg | Potassium: 30mg | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 583IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 26mg